Thursday, November 30, 2017

LADY V WOMAN

Lady versus Woman 

Seventy two years ago, Mom began teaching me: "There's a difference between a woman, and a lady." 
"A woman will smoke, drink, cuss, hike her dress up and show her breasts." 
"A lady doesn't do any of those things. She's polite, gracious, keeps her body appropriately covered..." and so forth. 
When I was old enough to show (sewed clothes and baked goods) and go to the Sarpy County Fair, she'd instruct, "Put on a dress. I won't let you wear shorts in public...or anything that would 'tempt' a boy. Don't be a 'tease.' I want you to 'be safe."'
Though that's the way I was raised, I can't say there weren't times when I pushed the boundaries. But, "cognizance" of her teachings pulled me back in. Thank goodness I was given boundaries to return to.
Not defending the boys here, just asking a straightforward question that really does deserve some objective examination.
Given the way today's "women" trot around "letting it all hang out," what contribution does this "tempting and teasing" the boys bring to sexual harassment?
Females: Do some serious reflection. Do you consider yourself to be a woman, or a lady?
Males: Likewise reflect. Are you a boy or a gentleman?
And please don't dive into the exceptions. Frankly, I'm burned out on obsessive focuses on exceptions...in every arena!
Let's just get going on solutions, then implement them.
Please.
Thank you.

Picture taken about 1956 of Ronita Bell in "work shorts." 

Mom never let me "off the farm" in such "short shorts." 
Photo by Anita Josephine Bell 

No comments: