Friday, August 7, 2009

WILL YOU...GOOD PEOPLE?

By America

Each day I welcome anew...
with a smile...
and torch held high.
Today was no different...
until I started to read the tidings.
They weren’t good.
Words marched...
like well inked swords slicing off my limbs...
one by one.
I found little hope for staying alive.
News crushed over my face...
like lead pillows in the hands of evil ones...
hell driven to suffocate.
What went wrong?
Had I been living in denial?
Did I not see the evil ones coming?
Maybe not.
A while back they sneaked in and blew out my flame.
It hasn’t been re-lighted...
staying me...
in the dark since.
But wait!
Wasn’t my two hundred and thirty three year old Constitution strong enough...
to hold up another two hundred and thirty three years?
Guess not.
Now I weep...
for those who yearned to breathe free...
and found shelter in my arms....
now gone.
I welcomed the homeless...
tired and poor...
gave them freedom from tyranny.
But now...
evil ones send out armies...
to crush my lamp...
mangle and slam shut forever...
my golden door to independence.
Will you...
Good People...
rise up...
and cast out the evil ones!
Will you...
Good People...
return good tidings once more?
Please. Find my arms...
give them a gentle stitch back on.
I long to hold your freedoms...
and the Republic...
my old friend Ben wrought.
And hereafter may...
your grace and love...
forget me not.
America
(Arem Roder (c) 2009

No comments: